Monday, September 24, 2012

Dried Plums...

So our plum tree produced alot of plums this year wchich is very exciting. Especially since last year we only got 6 plums. The issue became what to do with them all. We gave some to my inlaws, some to staff, some to school volley ball team and then we eat them daily. Well at my book club the idea of drying them was introduced and I decided to venture into this project not realizing the work and well the smell.Yuck!


First you pick the plums from the tree....
Next wash the plums.
Cut the plums in half. Try not to cut your finger like I did.

Place plums on the dehydrating racks.

Turn dehydrator on.

The Plums are drying...look pretty.

Plums dried and boy do they smell...not my favorite. I ended up putting them inthe oven because I thought the dehydrator was smelly but it was the plums. It took about 8-12 hours or so. I turned things off and on again.

After the have dehydrated  and cooled down you put them in a jar. I did put some in the freezer in a baggy too.
I don't think I will dehydrate plums again but it was a fun experiment. Maybe I will try grapes as they are ready now.

No comments:

Post a Comment